Thursday, January 22, 2015

A Fifth Look Into Chef Calvin's Cookbook: Part 5: Piquant Fish Stew

Yo what's up guys how's everyone doing? Well, here it is, my last recipe to show you guys. People always say to "finish strong" or "end it with a bang", but unfortunately that is not the case here. The dish I have prepared for you guys (along with my dad) isn't exactly something that I recommend seeing as though I don't like it very much myself but if your not a picky eater then I suggest you go for it! It is a fish stew but in the Philippines they call it "Piquant Fish Stew: Paksiw na Isda". Yeah I'm not really sure how to pronounce it either. Let me get this straight, most of you are probably wondering why I would post about something I don't really like, and if I were you, I would most likely do the same. To clarify things, this was my dad's idea. With the deadline for this IRP due, I had no choice but to accept. I didn't have many options left and I was struggling to come up with another recipe, so why not? Anyways, back on topic.  Once again we decided to tweak the recipe a little bit. However, this time we didn't add things we just didn't add a couple of the ingredients listed. No worries, we still have the basic make-up of the dish.
Actual page in the book

Now onto the recipe! The recipe serves 4, the preparation time is 5 minutes long and the cooking time is 20 minutes long. The listed ingredients are: 1 and a half pounds of fish fillets (either milkfish, rainbow trout, sea bass or mackerel), 1 cup of water, 2 cups of Filipino cane vinegar, 5 cloves of crushed garlic, 1 bitter gourd cut in half lengthwise, one piece of peeled and finely sliced ginger, 1 tablespoon of fish sauce, 1 teaspoon salt, and 3 finger-length green chili peppers (Garcia 75). The pictures of the ingredients that we used are in the picture down below (we forgot to include the ginger, salt, and water in the picture).
 
 
 
 
This fish stew recipe is actually a pretty short and simple recipe if you ask me. All we did was follow what it said in the book, which wasn't much. "Combine the water, vinegar, garlic, bitter gourd, if using, and ginger in a saucepan. Add the fish and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the fish sauce, salt and chili peppers. Simmer for about 20 minutes, or until cooked. Fish should flake easily with fork. Serve hot with steamed rice" (Garcia 75). Picture of everything combined together in the saucepan.
 
 
 
Finally, the dish was finished and ready to be eaten! To be honest, I didn't eat any of it. The only one who ended up actually eating the dish was my dad because no one else at home really liked it. Well, that's it guys! My question for you guys is: Have you guys ever cooked/helped to cook something that you didn't like? What was that dish? If not, then what's your guys' least favorite food and why? If you don't have a least favorite, then why is that? Final picture of the dish down below.
 
 
 
Citation: Garcia, Miki. Filipino Cookbook. North Clarendon, VT: Tuttle Pub., 2010. Print.
 
 
 



6 comments:

  1. Hi Calvin!!! I have lots of foods that i don't like but my top 3 have to be lima beans, mushrooms, and anything spicy. As a kid i remember being forced to eat lima beans and i'd swallow them one at a time like pills. Mushrooms are just gross and i'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food (i get 0 stars at restaurants) What are your least favorite foods?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Aubrey! For real for real? To be honest I actually like lima beans, mushrooms, and spicy food. Dang that's hecka messed up! I would never let my parents do that to me LOL. To be honest, I'm the opposite of a picky person so my list of least favorite foods are kind of short. That list includes pickles and avocadoes!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey bud! I gotta tell you, I don't know if I'd eat it either. To answer your question, when I was little, I used to have to help my parents make squash for dinner and I absolutely hated it. I don't have to do it anymore but it's one of my least favorite things because of that. Anyways, do you reckon your dish would go better with some sort of a sauce? Such as Sriracha? How do you think it would be with a different sauce? Anyways, great post!
    ~Bryce

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAHA. I thought I'd hear that. Well thanks Bryce! That's pretty funny but I actually like squash! Haha. Hmmmmm.... I'm not exactly sure Bryce but I guess it is a good thing to try new things so I don't know maybe I could try that or ask my dad to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Russia for 9 years of my life and that meal looks quite familiar. At least once a week, my school would serve fried fish on rice and I grew to like it. We also had a fish head soup; have you heard of it? It is basically a soup that is flavored with fish heads and is psychologically disturbing but not to bad to eat. Having moved to America, I haven't eaten a meal like yours in years. My least favorite food is easily McDonald's, if you can even call that food, being that it has made me nauseous on multiple occasions.

    ReplyDelete