Friday, January 23, 2015

Improvisation!

Improv is probably one of the easiest forms of acting, but also one of the hardest. Most of the little acting experience I have is from doing improv, especially in drama class. When we first started doing it in class, I wasn't really all that great at it. It was fun and all, but I didn't know what I was doing at all. But after reading the book Acting For Young Actors: The Ultimate Teen Guide, I learned a lot of things that have helped me ever since. The authors note 8 points to remember while doing improvisation:

1. Never deny - when someone comes up with an idea, don't reject or contradict it, even if you think you have a better idea.

2. Always lay on - add random details to things, however obvious or silly it seems. Remember, you are telling a story. And details add a lot to the story.

3. Don't plan - Don't decide how you want the story to go before you begin. That kind of defeats the whole purpose of improv. Just come up with things as you go along. This also makes it more fun!

4. Play an objective - when someone tells you the beginning of the plot, immediately think about who your character is and what your perspective is.

5. Listen with your body - when you are acting, you have to over-exaggerate everything you do, because it is a show for the audience. Turn toward the person talking and engage in the conversation.

6. Use all your senses when replying - look at the situation and determine what smells, tastes, sights, etc. are present in the current situation.

7. Don't try to be funny or go for a joke - it seems really fake when you force a joke when it really doesn't belong there. Go ahead and make it funny, but by using the situation to create humor.

8. Show, don't tell - it is so much better if you act like what you are feeling instead of just saying it. For example, if you are really nervous, use your actions to show it, not only your words.

(101-103).


After reading this section, I pretty much forced my younger brother to practice it with me. He didn't let me record it, however, but I did manage to capture this selfie just before beginning a scene!

So, what experience, if any, do you have with improv? Also, any comments on how awesome this photo is would be greatly appreciated!

2 comments:

  1. Hello Emily,
    I have absolutely no personal experience with improv but, I happen to love going to the theatre on 5th Ave. and I have to say, if you were ever taking on a role in 5th Ave. I think you would make an amazing Draco Malfoy from the play A Very Potter Musical. (and your photo is absolutely stunning)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Emily!
    I've only improved a few times at dance, it was fun yet I didn't fully let go. These tips are amazing and will help improve my improve skills. Thanks for the pointers!
    Alyssa Oord

    ReplyDelete