Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Basics to Becoming a Volleyballer: Passing

Having the amazing feeling of getting a good dig off of a strong hit is one of the best feelings in the world. But in order to dig those balls, you have to know the basics of passing. No matter what skill level you are in volleyball, passing is something everyone can always improve on. People think that passing is easy when really it is quite difficult at times. One little thing can screw up the perfect pass you desire.

For some time now, serve receive has been something that is more difficult for me when playing. The anxiety of being served at by a total stranger with an unknown strength used to make me panic (I still panic a little from time to time). The real solution was only to get better at passing. But of course, you have to start with the basics. "Position yourself to meet the ball straight on, use shuffle-steps (sideways steps) to cover ground. As the ball approaches you, draw your hands together and move the arms from the shoulder, keeping them straight. Contact the ball at hi level, just above the wrists and with your hands together, then follow through, If you want to change the direction of your return, make sure your follow through is in the direction you want the ball to go" (Beeson 24).

My basics in passing have given me the ability to progress to digging harder and faster hits than average passing. You can easily improve your passing abilities by practicing. Practice things such as getting in a circle with teammates and passing to each other (Beeson 24). Eventually, you will all be able to progress to hitting at each other with practice.


Being in a ready position, on your toes with your arms ready to pass, is a great stance for things like serve receive, or any receive in general.


Having a good stance can result in leading a good play. Remember that everything starts with a pass!

What type of techniques in a sport look easy but are actually hard to do when performing?

Citation: Beeson, Chris. Volleyball. Broomall: Mason Crest, 2004. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ihsaisha!
    I loved reading your blog! As I being a former libero, I can completely relate to you with panicking. The game of volleyball is definitely mind over matter! To answer your question, in dance, there are many technique moves that look very simple but are really so complex. For example, at practice the other day, a teammate demonstrated a move that seemed very simple because it only required core strength and leg flexibility. When I tried it afterwards, I fell on my butt. I definitely underestimated the amazing move! I hope your volleyball team does really well this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madison!
      I love your response and you know how I feel! I think that's very interesting about dance. I've always questioned how you guys do all that stuff, because there is no way I could do it. Many techniques are easy to look at, but even harder to perform! Thank you and good luck with dance this year!

      Delete
  2. Wow how relatable is this! As a libero on a volleyball team, I know EXACTLY how you feel on serve receive. It's really scary to play a stranger with unknown power, but for me it's scarier to play against someone that you already know. Personally, I just keep talking to my teammates the whole time to distract my fear from the panic of having to pass a powerful serve. To answer your question, back row attacks have always looked the coolest, but are definitely the hardest to perform. If you hit the ball just after the 10 foot line, then you'll be called for illegal hit but if you hit the ball too high, then it's probably going out! As a passer, I don't normally get an opportunity to work on hitting as much but can easily relate to someone with passing struggles. Sometime's it's just not your game! Good luck this volleyball year!

    ReplyDelete