Thursday, January 22, 2015

The Basics to Becoming a Volleyballer: Blocking

Another aspect of volleyball is defense. Defense can include all different skills in volleyball, but I think one of the most important ones is blocking. Blocking helps to ensure that the hitter on the other side of the net may just have to try your team again, because with a good block, it may just slam back down in their face.

Personally, I have never got my hands on the ball while blocking during a game. But this encourages me to keep working on my blocking, despite my height. To block, "Keep your feet planted, ready to jump, and shoulders square to the net. Keep your hands a ball's width apart, thumbs vertical, fingers diagonal, and arms straight. When timing your jump, watch the setter to find out where the ball is heading" (Beeson 27). This is the basic technique to blocking any ball, really.

An easy tip to remember is to make sure to watch the hitter's approach to see where his/her eyes are looking to possibly indicate the area of where they want to hit, then move to block it (Beeson 27). I also like to focus on the angle of the hitter's hand and their guidance.


Thankfully, I am capable of at least getting my hands above the net a little bit as my vertical increases. (Yes, I look like a potato face)

What aspects of a sport interest you the most when it comes to improvement?

Citation: Beeson, Chris. Volleyball. Broomall: Mason Crest, 2004. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Nice potato face! I find that in golf I would like to improve on my putting I would love to putt in with 2. Which you probs don't understand... but.. nice post!

    ReplyDelete