Thursday, January 22, 2015

Profile Portrait

I was pretty excited to do a portrait this time. I asked my mom to model for the portrait drawing, and she reluctantly agreed. I kind of felt bad because she was so busy and tired…she kept falling asleep during the time I was drawing. I told her I would do some chores in return but I never got around to that.

Anyways, it was actually a good thing I felt pressured to work on the drawing quickly! I’m really surprised at how fast I finished. My previous drawings took a while (ten breaks with a whole night’s sleep in between) while this one I accomplished in a short time. One of the good things that came out was not worrying or getting so frustrated at a certain part, and instead being able to tell myself to draw what I see.

A tip shown in the book.
This portrait uses all the skills accumulated from previous chapters, like negative spaces, how to measure proportions, etc. Speaking of proportions, there is a great deal of information the author mentions regarding the proportions of a person’s face. For example, there is the rule of “Eye level to chin equals eye level to top of head” (Edwards 180). That basically means the eyes are placed in the middle of the face. I kept this suggestion in mind, as well as a few others given, when drawing the portrait.

One of my few steps when starting was using my picture plane to decide on a composition, then choosing a basic unit. A basic unit is just a “convenient size and shape to guide proportions as you draw” (Edwards 193). I decided to choose the distance between the eyes and chin as my basic unit. Knowing this, I marked a few of the major proportions, like the top edge of hair, the back of the head, etc. on the picture plane. I transferred these marks onto the actual paper to begin my drawing (Edwards 193). Then I started on the lines, and when I came across some challenging parts like the nose and mouth, I focused on drawing the negative spaces. In addition to this, the author also noted to check the angles of these shapes or spaces with the pencil (Edwards 194). 


Finally, I polished it a bit by adding some tone. Personally, the lights and darks of the portrait seem too messy to me. All of the example drawings in the book show well defined lines, highlights, and darks, which I can’t seem to get yet. I can still focus on proportions such as the eyes as well. But overall, I’m pretty happy with the end result! What makes me feel even better is that I didn’t really overthink on this drawing and just went along with it.



What’s something that you've accomplished fairly quickly, yet led to a surprisingly good result?



Citation:
Edwards, Betty. Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: A Course in Enhancing Creativity and Artistic Confidence. 4th ed. London: Penguin Group, 2012. Print.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Tiffany! Your art is really great! I especially like how realistic your shading and proportions look.
    And as for your question, I'll find myself making quick sketches a lot, and I end up really liking the way some of them turn out! Not so much with others, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Akemi! I feel the exact same way about some of my sketches. Only I tend to draw the same type of thing, and I never really get creative. Still, making some sketches are a nice and quick way to pass the time when you're bored!

      Delete
  2. Hey Tiffany,
    I love how your drawing has wonderful proportions. And I know you don't think so, but I think that you did a great job with the highlights on the cheekbone as well as on the hair. On thing that I have accomplished quickly that lead to surprisingly good results was when I drew and shaded some of the basic geometric shapes. I was actually surprised because the one I thought would take the longest, and would be the hardest, was actually quite the opposite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Isaac! It's funny how sometimes we expect things to be challenging but they're really not. Since I was drawing a portrait of someone, it seemed a little intimidating because I thought faces were hard to get down. I never knew I was able to draw it so simply!

      Delete
  3. Tiffany your art is so amazing I really love the style of your shading--it makes the drawing more realistic! There may be only a few things I can recall where I picked up something fast and it lead to somewhere good. One of the times being the first time I used charcoal in a drawing! It was back in 5th grade or so where we used charcoal for our art projects and even though I started off really messy it soon kicked off after understanding how careful you need to be with it. Needless to say I remember being really happy with my drawing! My question for you is: how long did it take you to draw your mom? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete