Thursday, January 22, 2015

I always wonder if what I am eating is really that good for me? Can I improve my diet to be the best that I can be? Now it's time to talk about diets for the different  body types. From the book Body, Mind, and Sport by John Douillard he talks about the body type fuel and how each are very different. He also describes what each diet has in it and what it includes. "These diets are designed to provide a nutritional foundation for maximum performance and to balance your system" (Douillard 99). "If you have a body type that is extremely Winter, Summer, or Spring, then you can further modify the seasonal diet by starting a little early and staying on it a little longer" (Douillard 100). This means since I am a pure summer type I would start my diet in June rather than July and end my diet in November rather than September. John then explains how we have three diets and four seasons; "Now, it is true that we have four seasons and only three diets. This is because in nature there is typically a dormant or resting season where there is no harvest. This most commonly comes during winter" (Douillard 100). In my opinion I believe that there is an off season and I find I do not fully stick to the Summer diet in my off season. I have listed below a summary of body season diets with food examples suggested in Body, Mind and Sport.

The Winter Diet
Displaying 20150122_205626.jpg
This diet is of food that is suited to combat the dry, cold air of winter. People with this body type will see that this diet is agreeable and needed in the winter for keeping balance in there lives. Foods of this diet are warm, rich food with the tastes of sweet, sour, and salt. This diet contains lots of oils to insulate against winter. Some examples of food for this diet are favor foods that are warm, heavy, oily, sweet, sour, and salty. Also suggesting to eat larger quantities of food, but no more than you can easily digest.

The Summer Diet
Displaying 20150122_210155.jpg
This diet consists primarily of sweet, bitter, and astringent foods. Their primary property is to be cooling. It is not a good idea to eat hot spicy foods when on this diet or before a competition. Some examples of food for this diet to eat are favor cool foods and drinks, especially in hot weather and salads are excellent, especially in the summer.

The Spring Diet
Displaying 20150122_210533.jpg
This diet is made up of the pungent, bitter, and astringent tastes, which have properties of being light, dry, and hot. It is a lighter diet which is used to help offset the tendency to become heavy and lethargic. Some examples of food for this diet are favor foods that are light, dry, warm, and that have spicy, bitter, and astringent tastes and favor spicy, stimulating foods cooked with a minimum of butter, oil, salt, or sugar.

I never realized what I eat could have such an affect on my sport performance. With this information and understanding I have provided you with just enough of an edge to keep you in the Zone and put you into the winner's circle.



Work Cited
Douillard, John. Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best. New York: Three Rivers, 2001. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment