Thursday, January 22, 2015

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting

"Vanilla Buttercream Frosting is most definitely easy and convenient to make" (Goudreau 26). This recipe from"The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, yield was 10 to 12 and I definitely didn't need that many, so I cut the recipe in half. The original recipe is double this one:
  • 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons whipping cream
 

I first whisked the sugar and butter together by hand. The recipe called for a standing mixer fitted with a whisk, but I decided to go the traditional way and use a plain whisk. I mixed for a couple of minutes until it was well blended.

 
 
 I then started to whisk faster until it almost became water like. I added the vanilla and cream and continued to whisk for about 2 minutes more. The frosting still didn't seem consistent enough, so I added 2 more tablespoons of whipping cream than the recipe had said.

The vanilla buttercream frosting came out a little sweeter than I would've liked, but it was good overall!
 
My question for you: Do you make a recipe at home where you change it up a bit instead of following the recipe given? If so, what do you make and what do you change?
 
Source: Patrick-Goudreau, Colleen. The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment