Yes banana bread! I have never tried banana bread, so this was one interesting recipe I found in
"The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets" by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. The author of this cook book "rest the myth that vegan baking is an inferior alternative to non-vegan baking, putting it in its rightful place as a legitimate contender in the baking arena" (Goudreau 89). This is unquestionably shown in this recipe, where you can't even tell that it is eggless. Here is the recipe for this banana bread:
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 bananas
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
First I took a blender and I mixed the bananas together, like I was about to make a smoothie. Then I mixed all the wet ingredients together (banana, butter, and the eggs), and made sure I mixed it until it was well blended. I added the wet ingredients with all of the solid ingredients (all purpose flour, sugar, baking soda, and the cinnamon).
I then put the banana bread into the preheated oven (at 350 degrees Fahrenheit), and I allowed the banana bread to cook for about 45-55 minutes. After 45 minutes, I took it out of the oven and allowed it to cool for a bit.
The banana bread came out to be delicious. I was a little bit skeptical at first, but then I realized that it actually tasted really good! The cinnamon stood out and made it a little bit different.
My question for you: Have you ever tried something that you thought you were going to hate but then loved it? What was it?
Sources: Patrick-Goudreau, Colleen.
The Joy of Vegan Baking: The Compassionate Cooks' Traditional Treats and Sinful Sweets. Beverly, MA: Fair Winds, 2007. Print.
Hey Jasmine!
ReplyDeleteI am loving the idea of having egg-less baked products. Sometimes I find myself flustered because i'll be in the mood to bake something, but then realize i don't have eggs in the house. I find it really fascinating how this recipe worked so well for you! It definitely looks delicious and I think I will try it with my baking buddy, Grandma. Thanks for the inspiration and looks delicious!
Hey! Thanks Ihsaisha(: I'm glad I could help! From this book, I learned that the author used corn starch and water as a substitute for eggs. If you don't have corn starch at home, she also said that applesauce & pureed bananas could even be used to replace eggs. Hope this helps when you make it with your grandma!
DeleteI love banana bread! Fun egg-less products are so helpful and inspirational to me because I have a vegan friend and often don't know what food to bring when we hang out! The last time, I made vegan chocolate chip cookies and actually love the taste of vegan cookies more than I do normal chocolate chip cookies! Once, I made this really disgusting looking frosting for some cupcakes I was making (it was grey XO) and ended up loving it! Guess frosting can go wrong either way :)
Delete