Friday, January 23, 2015

The Final Decorations

Now that everything is set in place, I get to put the final touches on the room I'm re-decorating. No more finishing a step but wondering what the final outcome will be. This is the step I have been excited for during this entire process. Also, this is the step I am the most prepared for. 

Throughout the entire process, I have been keeping an eye out for beautiful decorations and taking pictures of them. These pictures have been able to remind me of what I liked, where it is located, and what the price is. Overall, this greatly shortened the amount of time that I spent on this step. 

The first thing that caught my eye was a set of shelves at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. There are three different size boxes that could be placed in a variety of places. The amount of different items that could be on display are endless, allowing for artistic expression. I honestly spent a good 30 minutes trying to decide on a formation. There were three different types of wood that I could choose from. However, Big Design, Small Budget says, "when selecting wood furniture for your space... the tones don't have to be an exact match, just in the same family" (Helmuth 27). Since the entertainment center and the candle holder are both chocolate colored (a dark wood), the boxes needed to dark as well. This left me with only one option (pictured left).

Next, I had to pick out what pieces should be displayed in these box shelves. Again, I searched right through my pictures and found ones that I believed would look beautiful in these spaces. The majority of these I got at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, but I got the clock at Ikea. Both Betsy Helmuth and I agree that clocks are practical and bold (Helmuth 110). However, there was still a large space on the right side of the largest shelf, so I decided to move a couple of my books into there. This helped my budget by cutting down on the decorations needed to be bought. 

Once I got the shelves decorated, I knew that the next step was the entertainment center. I knew that I wanted pictures to be a very prominent in the decorations because family is an important value of mine. The frames that the picture go in follow the same rule as the woods. However, this time, it is the warmth of the metal that must be the same (Helmuth 29). I decided that I would stick to warm metals as the wood is already dark. However, some of my picture frames are dark but they are wood material so not all picture frame will be the same.


Another object that seems to show up a lot in my room is an owl. Why you might ask? My mom is obsessed with owls. I'm pretty sure that we have at least 5 downstairs alone (now three more upstairs). So, in order to please my mom, I decided to include her owls. Also, being the nice daughter I am, I let her pick them out as well. However, I did get the final decision as they had to match the room. 

To conclude, I couldn't be happier with how this project turned out. Before I took on this project, I wasn't confident in my decisions and didn't really know many details about interior decorating. Now, I am happy with every single one of my choices because I made informed decisions. This book will surely be of use to me in my future. 

Also, I am very delighted with how the room itself turned out. Before, the room was always messy, dishes everywhere, and dog hair covering everything. Now, we want to keep the room looking as beautiful as it can, so we keep our dog out, pick up after ourselves, and keep food out of the room. This room is now a place that I am not be embarrassed to have seen.




What changes would you have made to this room? What would have inspired you to make these changes?

Works Cited:

Helmuth, Betsy. Big Design, Small Budget: Create a Glamorous Home in Nine Thrifty Steps. New York: Skyhorse, 2014. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment