A few weeks ago, I began reading the book "Swimming for Exercise" by Greg Whyte in order to improve my stroke, by endurance, as well as my overall health in and out of the pool. In terms of nutrition for what you should be consuming before you swim, the book recommends "to make sure you have a full store of carbohydrates in your muscles (called muscle glycogen) and other parts of your body." (Whyte 94) Once I learned this, I began increasing the amount of carbs I ate into my diet, but making sure not to overdo it. I noticed a gradual increase in my energy level as my body became used to the carbs, and I was able to do endurance based sets for a longer period of time.
One meal that I made was a homemade macaroni and cheese, which was very high in carbohydrates. The grains and the dairy definitely made sure of that. The next day, I exercised in the morning and noticed upon beginning my workout that I had much more energy than usual, which is normally something I lack during a morning practice or workout. The carbs from the macaroni and cheese were turned into energy, which were then stored in my body for use later.


I would recommend doing this, and I plan to do it again. The extra energy was helpful during sets, and the results of adding a healthy amount of more carbs to a diet can be impressive.
What food do you typically like to eat before practice or before you exercise?
Citation:
Whyte, Gregory P., and Eddie Jacob. Swimming for Exercise: Optimize Your Technique, Fitness and Enjoyment. Richmond Hill, Ont.: Firefly, 2011. Print.
Hey, Caitlin! This post was very helpful to me, since I'm a runner, and therefore need to track my diet as well. Something I wouldn't typically think of is good for getting lots of carbohydrates is the mac 'n' cheese you made. When I think of mac 'n' cheese, I think of cheesy deliciousness--not a healthy balance of the carbs you need. It's nice to know that you can eat healthily without it being broccoli :).
ReplyDeleteIn answer to your question, honestly, I don't have a very good diet. When I run (which is often), I don't feel as guilty about not eating as healthy as I normally would. Therefore, especially during cross country season, I eat like crap. This is in part because the girl's cross country team gives each other gifts and candy before every meet.
However, I recognize that I need to eat healthier. And maybe I'll start trying to do that (after the break; who can resist all those sweets?).
I like to eat pretty much anything with carbs before my workout especially mac & cheese :) I've also noticed that when I make sure to eat carbs and protein before my workout I get a better workout because I have more energy!
ReplyDeleteHey there Caitlin! I really liked this post. The book I'm reading is all about nutrition so its interesting to hear what other authors are saying too! My diet definitely is an area where I could improve. I often eat a lot of sugar and carbohydrates in my daily foods. I always try to eat at least an hour before any type of exercise. Before tournaments, I always stock up on carbs by eating pasta, like the macaroni and cheese that you made. On tournament days, I usually have oatmeal and/or a smoothie for breakfast and bring healthy snacks and maybe a pasta salad to eat throughout the day.
ReplyDeleteHey, Caitlin! This post has helped me a lot. I was always wondering why I was always feeling tired when I went to swim, and now I know it's because I was eating too much and of the wrong stuff. This post has helped me recognize what I need to eat more of.
ReplyDelete