Sunday, November 1, 2015

Workweek Cooking

The kitchen and I do not get along. When I venture into this room and prepare some type of dish to consume, I prefer “one pot” or “one pan” creations—throw everything into the vessel, cook, and top with an egg. However, I have decided to improve my cooking skills, with the ultimate goal of feeling more comfortable and confident in the kitchen.


I selected this recipe because authors and chefs, Cara Eisenpress and Phoebe Lapine, tout this recipe as “workweek” friendly. And for a Wednesday night, that’s exactly what I needed.
The prep for this recipe requires the use of a food processor. I find this machine intimidating; mine is a heavy mammoth, too large to fit in the kitchen cabinets. However, after chopping my vegetables, the carrots, the onion, and the fennel, the food processor did blend the ingredients quickly and efficiently. I’ll have to keep this in mind when perusing future recipes!

Moving forward in the recipe, I quickly realized I had made a crucial mistake: I did not read closely and was missing “2 cloves of garlic” and “1 quart of vegetable stock” (Eisenpress and Lapine). I felt the frustration creeping in. How was I going to go to the grocery store, finish the soup, and get ready for guests in 45 minutes? At this point, I asked my husband, Chris, for help. He ran to the grocery store for the garlic, while I boiled (and defrosted) the required amount of vegetable stock. Whew!

Once all the ingredients were in the pot and had simmered, as suggested, for 35 minutes, I made a few adjustments (Eisenpress and Lapine).  I decided to forgo the optional cream, as I was serving this soup with an apple and fennel salad and grilled cheese sandwiches. We would have plenty of dairy in other parts of the meal. In addition, I love spicy food, so I doubled the amount of red pepper flakes and sprinkled in a ½ teaspoon.

Overall, I am content with both the taste and texture of the soup (thanks, food processor!). I received positive feedback from my guests and husband: “Really good!” and “You made your own soup!”  Ultimately, I feel the “Workweek Tomato Soup” lived up to its name; I was able to prepare the soup and two other recipes, wash dishes, and set the table in about an hour. I feel so productive!

What recipes or routines does your family use during the busy workweek?
Citation:
Eisenpress, Cara and Phoebe Lapine. In the Small Kitchen. New York: HarperCollins, 2011. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment