I started driving about 11 months ago when I turned 15 and I was very excited. I completed drivers ed and felt pretty safe on the roads as I was. Although I am a fairly safe driver already, I was not pleased with my safe driving skills. In order to improve my safety on the road and in my car I decided to read "Washington Driver Guide" probably written by the state or something like that.
I know that driving without distractions are important; so I thought I'd review some tips on undistracted driving. "All distractions endanger the driver, the passenger, others who share the road and pedestrians. Some distractions include:
- texting
- using a cell phone or smartphone
- eating or drinking
- talking to passengers
- grooming
- reading, including maps and navigation systems
- watching a video while driving
- adjusting the radio, CD player or MP3 player" (4-4)
Since according to the book I should not be messing with my radio, I decided to turn that off while I drive. After I turned off the radio I noticed that I am much more focused on the road and where my next turn will be; rather than focused on singing along to ACDC and banging my head. just with this small adjustment I feel much safer as I drive.
 |
| Before |
Do you listen to the radio when you drive? How does it affect your driving?
I don't have my license yet but I believe these guides will help me very much as I start learning to drive in January. To be honest, I am a very scatterbrained person and will probably be oblivious to the many distractions on and off the road.
ReplyDeleteIn your list, you mentioned talking to passengers, reading, watching a video, and eating/drinking. These are a few of the many things I will not want to give up, I'd probably do them anyway. But thanks to this guide, I'll probably be more careful when doing one of these activities!
To answer your question, I do listen to the radio as a passenger. Thanks to you, I will probably spend less attention listening to the music and focus on driving.
Hi Ryan, I've done driving school last year too and I've also been driving lately. I listen to music while I drive but I don't turn the volume too loud because it would distract me too. Thanks for the tips!
ReplyDelete