Monday, November 30, 2015

Origami Basics

I'm a complete noob when it comes to folding origami, the only thing I currently know how to fold is the traditional paper airplane. A master of the art is truly Benjamin Bennett, he had showed me very impressive origami art. In honor of him, I chose to improve my origami skills and I'm looking to do a wide variety from plain patterns to animals to 3D advanced origami (if I can actually do it in the short few months of my blogs).

Failed projects...
So I have to admit I was very ambitious at the start of my origami career and I tried to do this really advanced origami. I tried to make many different models but then I understood that I shouldn't have shot too far.

Having spent hours on making failed projects of mice, llamas, polyhedrons, and other models, I realized that I didn't even know how to read the directions, trying to improvise, which only got me so far.

So my current focus of the blog is to make the crane and learn the basic folds. The most basic kind of origami, and I still don't know how to make it. The origami crane is legendary and has been the #1 origami figure. As Kasahara says, "The immortal origami classic, the crane, has maintained its appeal and beauty throughout the ages... it is an object of affection," (Kasahara 122).

Also, I love that one commercial where the guy makes hundreds of cranes out of gum wrappers for his daughter as she grows up. When she finally leaves for college and he finds all the cranes that she has saved throughout her childhood, it's very inspiring. Anyone remember this commercial? It is a great representation of the love and craftsmanship an origami crane should have.

Understanding the terminology and the diagrams is extremely important when following the instructions to fold origami. It was much harder than having to watch a video on making the crane. To make the crane, you basically need to understand the difference between a mountain/valley fold and what an inside reverse fold is.

Folding the crane was pretty easy, and going through the folds, the hardest fold I'll have to say would be to get the neck/head into place. This step called for an "inside reverse fold" getting more confusing when it mentions "where the interpleat areas are flat" (Kasahara 130). Doing this fold took a lot of steady and careful fingers in order to make the fold look neat instead of battered.

The crane is beauty, the ultimate symbol for hope.
In the future, with these basic folds in mind, I hope to make more sophisticated figures such as llamas, mice, or even functional origami. It will only take practice...

Have you ever tried to go beyond your limits, only to find yourself hopelessly lost?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment, now I don't feel alone in the struggle. Maybe you could teach me how to make a box and show me your airplane design sometime.

    ReplyDelete