Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Boy Who Learned To Cook

The first thing I learned to make was an egg when I was 14 years old. It took me several tries before I could make a fried egg without burning or under cooking it. I have a notorious history with the art of cooking being that I put soap in a kettle and have stepped on a cherry pie before. These were both unintentional of course but as you can see I am not a rocket scientist when it comes to cooking. So when my mother asked me to make a pie for Thanksgiving I was more than a little skeptical.

I chose to use the recipe of "A taste of Home" because it is famous in my family for having the best pumpkin pie. Everything was very new to me as I learned, the difference between the filling and the crust, what a lattice is, the difference between plastic wrap and ten foil, the pumpkin filling comes in a can, and how to tell if the pie is done. The directions said to make the crust first and I began on my tasty adventure.Displaying IMG_20151120_181050.jpg
Now I can't tell you how worried I was when my mom handed me this but fortunately it was just a joke!!! The pumpkin in the pumpkin pie actually comes in a can apparently. I made the dough from mushing up flour, salt, water, and shortening. Once the dough was ready I had to sandwich it in between plastic wrap and flatten it with a rolling pin. Once it was rolled up I had to put it on the pan carefully and that was probably the most difficult task.

Displaying 20151125_132211.jpg
The filling was a piece of pie. Adding all the proper ingredients was no problem to the surprise of my entire family. After dumping the filling into the pie-encrusted-pan, it was ready to be latticed. I used my fingers to make a beautiful lattice, a new life accomplishment for me. Then I put it in the oven to bake hoping and praying that I wouldn't burn it.
Fortunately for me, the pie did not burn and it was the highlight of the Thanksgiving deserts. My relatives listened to the story of how I stepped in the pie, how I once put soap in the tea kettle, but no one could argue with my pie. I was dubbed that night by my grandmother, "the boy who learned to cook."
Have you ever wrecked something you cooked and if you have, how badly did you wreck it?

Displaying IMG_20151120_181050.jpg
Displaying IMG_20151120_181050.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment