Monday, November 30, 2015

Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake

Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake. That sounded terrible. Thus, I made it and ate it out of pure curiosity 
and the picture on my book looked good. I have never tried Chocolate Zucchini Snack Cake, so this was one interesting recipe out of many that I happened to have found in "Silly Snacks, Classroom Treats, Cookie Dough Fun" by Louis Weber. This book is separated into 3 different sections (Silly Snacks, Classroom Treats and Cookie Dough Fun) and the section went to for this recipe was Classroom Treats and on page 125 is where I found this particular recipe. It was definitely surprising to me, mixing zucchini with chocolate cake and I was quite interested to see how it will turn out. Let's just say it surprised me. Before we get ahead of ourselves, let's start with the ingredients needed. The ingredients that I needed were sugar, butter, vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla, all-purpose flour, unsweetened, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, buttermilk, zucchini and semi-sweet chocolate chips (Weber 124). On the actual page it mentioned the specific amounts needed and the condition they should be in before cooking. I have a few of those but I still needed to go to Safeway in order to obtain cocoa powder, baking soda, buttermilk and the chocolate chips. 
Image result for safeway
Now, lets go into me making this wonderful treat. The instruction reads, "Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease and flour 13 X 9-inch baking pan," (Weber 124). So, I took out a pan that looked at it was 13 by 9 and got a measuring tape and surely enough it was. I greased it by putting regular butter on the pan and floured it lightly. It does not mention this in the instructions but it does mention in the ingredients list that the zucchini must be shredded (it should also be obviously assumed) so it was also shredded at this time.

Shredded Zucchini

The next step reads, "Beat sugar, butter and oil in large bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until well blended," (Weber 124).  I did this basically how the instruction reads except i put it at low speed because of my mixer's low speed is still pretty fast.




Mixing




The 3rd step reads, "Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in vanilla," (Weber 124). So, I don't sound repetitive i literally did exactly what this reads.
Cracking the eggs in the bowl
The next step is, "Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Add to butter mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in zucchini," (Weber 124). This step is very important. It is practically three steps in one. First, i got out a seperate bowl that was smaller than that one but nothing crazy. I mixed the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt just with a spoon for about 3 minutes until it was all one color. Then, i added the butter and buttermilk alternately and turned my beater a notch up since the mixture was very thick at this point. Then i added zucchini after and mixed it some more!



Combining flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt
Beating the mixture

The last two steps are pretty obvious, basically saying to add it to the pan and bake it for 55 minutes, (Weber 124). It's important to note however, because my oven heats hotter/faster than normal ovens I took it out about 10 minutes early and it was still much darker than the example provided. It tasted good but it still didn't look as golden or light than the picture provided on page 125 of the book. Overall, it was still a fantastic dessert that I would recommend any day. It was basically a brownie as it doesn't have frosting like cake and after cooking you literally cannot taste any zucchini at all. Why even add that ingredient at all. I suppose that was added to make the reader feel they are healthy or a hipster.


My question for you: Would you ever risk making or eating a dessert with a vegetable in the title? Let me know in the comment section below. And if you like this blog make sure to share it with your friends. 

3 comments:

  1. I have to hand it to you for having the guts to make a desert with zucchini! I like trying new things so I definitely would eat some by there is no way I would actually make a desert with a vegetable, let alone that vegetable being a zucchini! Does it actually have a zucchini taste to it? Its a very interesting idea; what caught your attention and made you choose the zucchini snack cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It doesn't have any Zucchini taste to it and it just tastes like a normal brownie. I think it is just baked into it so it's healthier. I chose this just out of pure curiosity.

      Delete
    2. It doesn't have any Zucchini taste to it and it just tastes like a normal brownie. I think it is just baked into it so it's healthier. I chose this just out of pure curiosity.

      Delete