Throughout my life i have always loved the cold. I especially loved the things that you could do in the snow like building forts, getting into snowball fights and I loved skiing the most out of every single activity that you could do in the snow. I learned to love it when i was one of the little kids wearing the red vests getting and getting in the way of other people when i was 4 years old. I really made strides with my ability to be successful on the slope. I did this through going fast making mistakes and being aggressive. That was much easier when i was just a little kid who didn't think that crashing could mean that i would actually get hurt. But even though I got very good at skiing it lost its appeal to the more mature more dangerous and more thrilling sport of snowboarding. After taking a season off from doing any sort of activity in the snow I decided that i would try and learn a new skill. I was thirteen years old when i started to snowboard. It was pretty much my life that year trying to get my parents to take me up to the mountains and trying to get them to sign me up for lessons. In this book it says "Don't take my word for it. Find out for yourself save your money, buy some gear, look into lessons, find a crew to ride with and get going." (Gallagher 15) I think that my thirteen year old self really did follow that information and I really made stride in my ability that year and i managed to really learn to love the sport again. After my parents saw how much time and effort I put into making myself a better snowboarder they thought that they thought that I might as well have my own board. I'm honestly really glad that i didn't have to worry about getting my own board because i don't know how i would have been able to sift through all of the selections and the different kinds of boards but I think that they made a really good choice for me because they got me a nice all around board. This was the perfect fit for me because i wasn't really that focused on learning one skill in particular. I think that this was the right fit for me because i really wasn't looking for a special board or one that would make me look like an Olympian in the air. In this book it says that you really wont notice the feel of the different boards but since I learned how t ride on a cambered board i think think that this new board really suited my needs.
Also my board is very much in the middle when it comes to certain attributes that can effect the way it feels on the mountain. It rides so it can be controlled and handle the speed of mountain riding while also having the flexibility to be able to ride in the park.
What have you done to get ready for your hobby/pasion
I have never snowboarded. It sounds fun man. I do Karate as a hobby/passion. By the way you spelled passion wrong. You should talk about good locations you have snowboarded before. Nice solid blog. 4/5 stars, bro.
ReplyDeleteHey Kenny!
ReplyDeleteI'm a snowboarder too! I haven't had a chance to go yet this year, but I spent last weekend getting ready for the season. I bought a board last year, so I didn't need to buy another one. However, my snow gear didn't fit me anymore so I had to go to the sporting goods store and get some new gloves and snow pants. One of the bindings on my board broke last year and I had to get that fixed too. Another thing that I had to do to get ready for the season this year is fill out the information to get my lift pass to Snoqualmie. I organized all my stuff in my closet and got everything together so that when I decide to go boarding I'm ready to go.
Nice Jeff I hope that you have a really good time snowboarding this year and that you have everything thing that would help you get started
ReplyDelete