What do you think about when you are about to take a picture?
When most people prepare to take a picture, they don't ask, "do I have good contrast?" Or "does this follow the 'rule of thirds?'" But in reality, these are just a few of the many questions a photographer must consider when capturing an image. Taking a quality image goes way beyond whether a picture simply looks "good" or "bad." In taking a well-composed shot there are many rules and techniques of composition that contribute to whether an image pleases both a technical and creative standard. And over the course of the next six weeks, I will be demonstrating many of the key components in achieving a truly quality photograph. One of the most important factors in capturing a shot is how exposed your picture is. Determining whether or not a photograph is underexposed, overexposed, or just right.
| Underexposed -too much light, lacking shadows and contrast |
![]() |
| Overexposed -not enough light, too many shadows, lacking highlights |
| Good exposure -good balance of highlights and shadows |
One of the easiest ways to assure your picture has the correct exposure, is to use a light meter. "An exposure calculated by a light meter provides a combination of aperture and shutter speed that should expose your picture correctly" (London 68). In other words, a light meter helps you to determine the best settings to use in capturing the picture you are taking. But although the settings the light meter gives you might work well, it is not strictly the only combination you can use. For more artistic value, you can play around with your aperture and shutter speed yourself and end up with a photograph that is just as good or even better!
I tested this idea out myself. Ignoring my light meters suggestions, I took various pictures without it's guidance. Two of these pictures are displayed below.
f-stop (aperture): f/6.3
shutter speed: 1/1250 sec
f-stop (aperture): f/6.3
shutter speed: 1/4000 sec
But it is important to not get hooked onto the exposure of your image. While having a good exposure is one the most important technical aspects of your image. There are still many other things to be considered when capturing and editing your picture. Next time, we will take a look at contrast and how having good contrast influences the entire feeling and visual impact of your image.London, Barbara. Photography. 9th ed. London: Pearson Education, 208. Print.

Very well done photos! I don't know anything about the rule of thirds, and i'm not a photographer, but when i see photos that are underexposed or overexposed i can definitely tell haha! I especially like the first photo, keep it up.
ReplyDeleteHey Francis,
ReplyDeleteThis is such an informative and aesthetically pleasing post! I love how you gave examples for both under and overexposed images. I have dabbled with photography but nothing this professional, I will take into consideration the exposure and lighting regarding the subject in my images next time I go take photos. I feel like I have became far more artistically aware after reading this post. As for your question I am often just thinking, "don't move or shake, don't move or shake."
Thanks for the great advice,
Danika Overstreet
These photos are really cool! I like that you gave examples of both an underexposed and overexposed image so we can see what each of those might look like. Now that I know what those would look like I can try and avoid taking images that are under/over exposed.
ReplyDeleteAwesome job!!
ReplyDeleteYour photographs look great! I remember the trouble I had in photography last year where we learned about some of this stuff, but the tough thing for me was I never seemed able to get the hang of it. I really like how you made sure to address some of the rules, but also mentioned that it's important to stay true to your artistic style too. Great work!