Monday, November 30, 2015

French Braiding


Ever since I was a little girl, I always admired how amazing my mom was at doing hair. Whenever I needed my hair to be done a certain way, she could do it. Because of this, I have lacked the very important skill of doing fun hairstyles on myself and other people. I always tried, then gave up because I never knew how to do them, until I found the book Hairstyles by Kylee Bond. It has so many amazing and complex hairstyles, yet they are easy with the step by step breakdown of how to do them. For the first hairstyle, I decided to try one out on my sister to practice doing hair on other people first. I chose the classic hairstyle I always seem to struggle with; the French braid.

The reason I always had so much trouble with doing this on other people, was because my braid always fell apart in the start. I never knew the proper technique on how to start. When I tried it before without prior knowledge of Hairstyles there was always hair falling out of my hands making the braid messy. Thankfully I tried a new technique. I started by tying the hair in a ponytail in a U shape at the top back of the head, and then grabbed a strand of hair from the right side to overlap the ponytail (Bond 109).

With this helpful starting point I was able to do the best French braid I’ve ever done, because it wasn’t as messy as it usually is!

Overall I was proud that this hairstyle looked a lot like the model in the book. I considered this a huge success because I have tried to do the French braid so many times and failed. Although I’m happy with my results, I think that I could do my French braid a little tighter next time because it looked a little lose towards the bottom of the head. I would do this by not transitioning to the normal braid so early. For example, “Keep braiding until you reach the nape of your neck and you have no more horizontal sections to pick up and add in” (Bond 110). With this tip I am sure I could make the appearance of the braid look tighter and more put together.

What is the most advanced hairstyle you’ve done on yourself or someone else? How did that turn out for you, and what could you improve on?

 

 

Citation:

Bond, Kylee. Hairstyles. N.p.: Member O Penguin Group (USA), n.d. Print.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Laura!
    First to answer your question the most complex hairstyle I have done on my sister was the "Katniss Everdeen" dutch side braid. It actually turned out really great because I followed a video on YouTube. While I'm pretty good at doing hairstyles on others, I am horrible at doing my own hair. For some reason when I do my own it falls out in 10 seconds. So something I could improve on is having the strength and patience to style my own hair. Also I wanted to tell you that your french braid looks great and even though you say you would want it a bit tighter I think it more volumized when looser, and Cooper seems to love the braid :)
    Have a great Winter break!
    Your photography pal,
    Emilee Bell

    ReplyDelete