Monday, November 30, 2015

Dairy Consumption

Over the course of the past few months, I've been starting to realize how poor my eating habits have become, especially for an athlete. Even during Kentridge's volleyball season, when I was playing volleyball an average of days a week, I continued to disregard all the things I had previously learned about diet and what your body needs. I never ate breakfast and often ate out for lunch or just had a coffee. I know that their was no way I was getting all of the vitamins and minerals that my body needed or fulfilling all of the needed amounts from each food group. This led me to my decision to read What to Eat by Marion Nestle.

I chose this book in order to help me make better eating choices. As I begin flipping through the book when it first arrived in the mail, not only did I realize that the book was over 500 pages but also that not all the sections applied to me. I decided to read the section on dairy first.

One of the points that I found to be very interesting is that "Dairy products have so much fat and saturated fat that the amounts of these components can be measured by the tablespoon"(Nestle 92). This inspired me too examine the amount fat that I consume from dairy on an average day:

In my coffee, I had three servings of French Vanilla creamer which contains a total of 4.5 grams of fat and 1.5 grams of saturated fat. On my sandwich, I had two slice of medium cheddar cheese, consuming 14 grams of fat and 9 grams of saturated fat from the cheese alone. Lastly I had one cup of 2% reduced fat milk which had 5 grams of fat and 3 grams of saturated fat.

In this picture, I used sugar to represent the amount of fat(top) and the amount of saturated fat(bottom).


Since 15 grams is equivalent to one tablespoon, I consumed about 1.6 tablespoons(23.5 grams) of fat and 0.9 tablespoons(14.5 grams) of saturated fat (Nestle 92). In the picture below, I once again used sugar to show the amount of fat(right) and the amount of saturated fat(left) that I consume almost everyday in my dairy products.



Not only did tracking and examining this help me see how much fat I consume, but it also showed me the foods that contain more fat and maybe to avoid or limit my consumption of, like medium cheddar cheese.

Have you ever considered the amount of fat in your daily eating? How could you cut down on your fat consumption through dairy products?

Citation: Nestle, Marion. What to Eat. New York: North Point, 2006. Print.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Amana! I liked your post, it was very interesting to see all of the fats that are consumed laid out in front of you- it really made me think about what I was eating. To answer your question, I have thought about it before, but never very deeply. I could cut out creamers high in fat from my coffee, as well as eat fewer dairy products in general. I'm looking forward to seeing your next post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amana, your blog is super interesting! To answer your question, I have thought about the amount of at in my diet, but never actually cared enough to research it... Now I might reconsider! In the book I'm reading, Mindfulness by: Ellen J. Langer, the author states "those who bring mindfulness into their lives experience greater over themselves..." (Langer 8). Though this doesn't literally apply to your topic, I think that becoming more mindful of what you eat will help you have a a greater control over your health and diet as a whole! Keep up the great work girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have thought about hoy much fat I eat but never really acted on it or tried to change it. I really liked the visuals with the sugar because it helped me to see just how much fat I consume. I think I will try only putting one slice of cheese onto my sandwich instead of two to help cut down my fat consumption.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog is quite lit! I mean I love eating garbage but after considering how much fat I consume it grossed me out. A moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips! Looking forward to your upcoming blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have found that you've been overeating or eating the wrong things but did you actually choose to change what you eat or did you just wanted to be informed on how much fat and etc. you are eating? I have found that I eat a lot of fat but since I play sports and have a high metabolism , everything balances out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amana,

    I loved this article so much! it is truly very eye opening! and i loved the idea of tracking what you eat! as for your question, personally yes i watch very carefully what i eat! just because i play soccer and i feel like it helps a ton! I feel like you gotta fuel our body with good food, to help you fully be able to work out and think at the best level while playing!

    Again i loved this article! and cant wait to read your other ones! :)

    -McKenzie Ford

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't considered the amount of fats we consume daily, and it's a little shocking to see the number and to see it modeled like you did in the pictures. I think you did a very good job at showing how much fats we consume daily in this post. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like this is a great topic because many people can relate. I, myself, also go many days without eating breakfast and have not been eating very healthy at all, so seeing this post gives others like myself alternatives to not eating breakfast, or coffee.

    ReplyDelete