I started off with one of the poses I struggled with while I was still in ballet, Arabesque Croisee. Around the beginning in the book there's a definition of Arabesque Croisee, it's basically a three-quarter view of the body and faces a front corner of the stage which can be held in a variety of positions. (Grant Pg.4) I followed the illustrations on the back of the book on how it's supposed to look and from what I can remember. It wasn't specific on the footing but I believe from what I learned it's on first position. "First position: A posture in which the feet are turned outward with the heels touching."(Grant Pg. 139) But for this pose only one foot would be in the position while the other is lifted. For all dancers out there, I'll probably get a lot of criticism. But that's where it all starts right? Even the best dancers get criticism.
Arabesque Croisee
After a few times getting into position and posing in lengths of 10 seconds, this is as far as I got. Honestly, I'm not proud of myself. I can already put criticism on the pose, but hearing it from others is what I'm looking for. Many say ballet is not a sport. But I believe it's definitely a sport, a hard one in fact. Coming back into ballet really makes me happy, ballet is literally my passion. It helps me let go of everything, it lets me look forward in life.
Question:
Have you ever taken or currently in ballet? If so what was your most difficult pose?
Citation:
Grant, Gail. Technical Manual and Dictionary of Classical Ballet. Third Revised Edition ed. New York: Dover Publications, 1982. Print.
Hi Teresa!
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question I did take ballet, I actually also used to practice ballet at British Dancing Academy but had to quit because my schedule was getting to hectic to handle. The most difficult poses I had to do were defiantly holding pose on pointe, so glad I don't have to worry about that anymore. Also you should be proud of your arabesque because you have excellent placement, the only thing I would say you could improve on is your extension through your arms and legs. You are doing the move, but you will look like your ballerina icons if you stretch through your shoulders and from the top of your leg down to your toes. I'm glad you are continuing to practice ballet!
Hi Teresa!
ReplyDeleteI was thinking about taking ballet when I was younger but I never got myself to do it. I feel though that ballet is very stressful as you were saying, you have to get most of the poses perfect and it requires lots of energy. I did try a couple of poses when I was deciding to start, just to get the feel of it, and let me tell you it is truly a work out. Which is one reason why it gets me annoyed when people say ballet isn't a sport because it is not just graceful and soft as it looks. But your poses look very good and hopefully the new dance studio will be nicer!
Hey Teresa!
ReplyDeleteI am actually a dancer myself, and I have been for about 13 years now. I do contemporary currently, but used to do ballet. I agree that it can be difficult when dance instructors pick favorites, and I am sorry that happened to you! However, I think your poses look great, keep up the good work with dance!
-Starr Morgan
Hi Teresa!
ReplyDeleteI think at some point in every little girl's life they dream of being a ballerina, me included. I've always loved how graceful and elegant the ballerinas were able to look while dancing. I always wanted to take ballet classes but never got around to doing it. Personally I've never taken a ballet class, but i have family members who have and they've told me how draining it could be. You have to do each move a certain way and you have to do it with elegance and poise. I'm glad that you're picking up ballet again and hope to see you keep improving!