On an average day, I usually drink about 24 fluid ounces of water. According to Nestle's research and knowledge, "Most people need to drink at least two quarts of water a day" (Nestle 401). Two quarts is equivalent to 64 fluid ounces. So essentially on a daily basis, I am only consuming about 37% of the amount of water that I should be in order to stay healthy. Although, you can get water from just about anything (food, juice, coffee, etc.), so that just means that I am getting 37% of my daily required water intake from water itself.
Along with the amount of water that you should be getting and where you can get it, Nestle also talks about the different things that are added to water, especially bottle waters She talks about how many beverage companies add minerals, vitamins, and/or herbal supplements because it gives the companies more to promote and allows them to sell their product for a higher price (Nestle 416). This inspired me to look at the bottled water that I most often drink, which is the Kirkland Signature brand.
As I looked at the packaging on the bottle, the part that stuck out to me was "Purified Water with minerals added for taste". For a case of 40 Kirkland Signature 16.9 ounces water bottles, it costs $4.63. I decided to contrast the price of the Evian brand of water with Kirkland Signature. Evian costs $16.96 for a case of 12 one liter water bottles. The things added to Kirkland Signature water are potassium bicarbonate, sodium bicarbonate, calcium citrate, sodium chloride, and magnesium oxide. In Evian water you will find that their is nine different minerals in the water. This proves what Nestle was saying about how the more additives in water, the higher it can be valued.
Overall, in Marion Nestle's book she spends time assessing the importance of water in your diet and where you can get it. She also goes into detail about the things that are added to water in order for companies to advertise their product, persuade consumers to purchase their product, and raise the value of their product, thus causing the company's revenue to increase.
Question: How much water do you think you drink on a daily basis? Are you drinking the right amount? What do you drink most?
Very cool information!
ReplyDeleteI enjoy the precise numbers you provide early on, and how you compare and contrast the two brands to support what your book was saying. I am almost certain that personally, I am not drinking enough water on a day to day basis, but it is one of my more preferred drinks. I think I end up drinking more coffee and tea, though, maybe I'll have to try to fix that. Great work!!