Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes

Cookies & Cream Cupcakes

This sounds like the unhealthiest dessert ever. Mixing two of the most sugar filled dessert sounds like overkill. It is but in a good way. It seemed it wasn’t past my cooking abilities when I read about it in "Silly Snacks, Classroom Treats, Cookie Dough Fun" by Louis Weber. This book is separated into 3 different sections (Silly Snacks, Classroom Treats and Cookie Dough Fun) and the section I went to for this recipe was Classroom Treats and on page 112 is where I found this particular recipe. It was definitely exciting to me, mixing Oreos with Cupcakes and I was quite interested to see how it will turn out. The ingredients that you must have for this treat are all-purpose flour, baking powder, teaspoon salt, sugar, milk, butter, vanilla, eggs, Oreos and vanilla frosting (Weber 112). On the actual page it mentioned the specific amounts needed and the condition they should be in before cooking.
So once I had all the ingredients I started cooking. The instruction reads, "Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 24 regular-size (2½-inch) muffin pan cups with paper baking cups" (Weber 124). In all honestly, I did this step last and it didn’t matter but you just have to wait for it to preheat. When I did it I put each paper baking cup in each part of the pan but we had to do it twice since we had more of the treat that we did space.
The next step reads, "Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Add milk, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup crushed cookies" (Weber 112).  This step is long (it probably could have been separated to multiple steps. This step is everything you need to mix. It is all just adding all the ingredients together for the most part. I did it exactly like it said up until the electric mixer. It worked when I put it on low for 30 seconds and even when I put it on medium for about a minute. But then what I mixed seemed too thick so I put it up to fast speed and it worked for a little bit. But out of nowhere it made this loud noise and stopped working. While I was trying to get all the mix out of the mixer, it started heating up and smoke was coming out of it so I turned it off and fanned it. I couldn’t get it to work so I threw it away and tried to beat it was a non-electric one though I couldn’t thoroughly mix it so it was pretty thick. That definitely affected the end product since it ended up being thick towards the end (but still very good).

The 3rd step reads, "Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into centers come out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes. Remove to racks; cool completely” (Weber 112). I found it quite difficult to get it to come out my spoon (probably because it was thicker than it normally would) so I used a second spoon, one for scooping the mix and one for getting it out. This made me notice that I didn’t mix the crushed Oreos in the last step in the bottom of the bowl which would have caused the first cupcakes to have much more Oreo than the others. So before moving to the next step I sprinkled more Oreos on the top of the later one’s I made

The final step is simply, “frost cupcakes; garnish with additional crushed cookies” (Weber 112).  I did this step exactly how it says and I added more Oreos to make it taste even better. And thus I had my beautiful end product that is one of the most delicious desserts period.






My question for you. Do you think eating really unhealthy foods is worth shortening how long you live?

1 comment:

  1. This recipe looks really good, I'd like to give it a try sometime. To answer your question, no, a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips and I wouldn't wanna trade short term satisfaction for long term regret.

    ReplyDelete