Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Gorilla Bread


This maybe one of the most delicious deserts out there. Drenched in a sugary butter and filled with gooey cream cheese, this might just be the unhealthiest food out there. This is Monkey Bread’s older brother! I’ve always wanted to try making Monkey Bread but I was afraid it was too complicated to make and that if something went wrong with the recipe I would be throwing away perfectly good food. As I read the ingredients of this recipe I noticed it was made up of very simple things that I already had at home. I found this recipe in the book “Christmas with Paula Deen” by Paula Deen herself. This recipe wasn’t in the Desert section surprisingly but in the section called Christmas Morning. I decided to give this recipe a try since I always wanted to make it. The ingredients in this recipe are granulated sugar, ground cinnamon, butter, brown sugar, cream cheese, and refrigerated biscuits.

                Once I had all my ingredients in front of me I started baking. The instructions read, “Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a Bundt pan with vegetable oil cooking spray.” (Deen 104). I didn’t have vegetable oil cooking spray so I just used olive oil cooking spray which didn’t make a difference to the recipe.

                The next step was to “mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon.” (Deen 104) This was a very vague description so I just added a cup of sugar and a teaspoon of ground cinnamon to a Ziploc bag and shook everything together. Towards the end of the recipe I noticed that this was too much sugar and next time I would’ve used half the amount. The step then continued reading, “In a sauce pan, melt the butter and brown sugar over low heat, stirring well: set aside.” (Deen 104). At this point I started noticing problems with the butter mixture. I mixed the butter and brown sugar together for maybe 10 minutes and instead of it becoming liquid it turned into a paste. I set it aside for 20 minutes and checked on it again and it became a solid which I knew wasn’t right but I couldn’t do anything about it because I had already combined the ingredients so I just placed it back on the stove and stirred back to paste form.

                The next steps were in my opinion the most fun and easiest. All I did was cut an 8-ounce package of cream cheese into 20 equal cubes. I then opened up a can of refrigerated biscuits and cut each of the biscuits into half so I had a total of 20 pieces. I pressed out each biscuit with my fingers and rubbed half a teaspoon of cinnamon sugar on each biscuit and placed a cube of cream cheese. I then wrapped and sealed all of them individually.

                The recipe then sprinkle a half cup of nuts at the bottom of the Bundt pan but personally I don’t like nuts so I skipped that step. I then placed half the biscuits in the pan and sprinkled them with more cinnamon and sugar and poured half the melted butter mixture over the biscuits. I then repeated the same thing with the other half of biscuits.

Lastly comes the easiest step, placing them in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Once they were finished I followed the instructions and let them cool for 5 minutes. Placed a plate on top and inverted. (Deen 105). Paula recommends to serve them warm so that it was what I did.

My family and friends loved this recipe. By the end of the night it was practically all again. I only got a bite of it and I thought it was delicious. I recommend this recipe to anyone who isn’t on a diet as it is highly filled with sugar.

Would you risk killing your diet for this delicious recipe?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment