Monday, December 7, 2015

Contouring and Highlighting

While working with makeup, it's important to apply generous amounts while still looking natural. There's an endless amount of products and brands to work with. Today I'll teach you how to highlight your face using highlighter, and contour your face using bronzer, and foundation 3 shades darker than your natural skin tone.

First we'll focus on how to contour. After completing your usual foundation routine, your face may lack dimension. "Contouring: This can bring out cheekbones, create a more defined chin, and streamline your nose." (Conrad 142). I used my favorite Too Faced bronzer in the shade light/medium, and used the FIT ME foundation 3 shades darker than the foundation I usually use.




Following the directions in the book I sucked in my cheeks to find where my cheekbones are located(Conrad 91). I used my angled foundation brush to apply a dark foundation across the hollows of my cheeks following along my hairline up to the top of my forehead. After my liquid foundation was blended, I took a different angled brush and applied a powder bronzer the same place I did liquid, while also applying it along the sides on my nose, and lightly under my jawline.







As you can see before contouring there was no dimension to face and it was all one color. After I contoured you can see my nose is more narrow, my cheekbones and jawline are more defined, and my forehead isn't as white.


After you've contoured, if you choose you can highlight your face. Highlighting "brightens up eyes, makes your cheeks pop, and helps define your upper lip area. Some highlighters add just a hint of brightness while others bring an appealing shimmer to your face." (Conrad 142). The book didn't specify what tools to use when working with highlighter so I chose to work with a beauty blender when using my High Beam by Benefit liquid highlighter, and an angled brush when working with the Becca powder highlighter in shade opal.


 


After I applied highlighter to my cheeks, nose, forehead, and upper lip you can tell that my skin is more bright and has a dewy fresh affect. Highlighting is like painting when applying the principal that adding reflective light areas makes something look closer. (Conrad 142)





In conclusion, contouring and highlighting are often skipped yet can cause a huge difference in your facial structure. Contouring and highlighting helps to downplay and accentuate your features as you choose to apply different amounts of bronzer and highlighter. Contouring and highlighting is a subtle way to add color and dimension to your face.


Question: How long does it generally take you to apply your makeup?


Book Citation: Conrad, Lauren, and Elise Loehnen. Lauren Conrad Beauty. New York: HarperCollins, 2012. Print.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Alyssa!
    first to answer your question it generally takes me 5-10 minutes to apply my makeup (if just going to school) but if I am attending a more formal event it can take me up to 20 minutes. It was interesting to me how you used a darker foundation to emphasize the hollows of your checks. Your blog was also very informative to me about how to highlight, whenever I attempt to apply a shimmery highlight I end up looking like a disco ball. I will defiantly try to use a damp blending sponge to apply a light cream highlight to the tops of my cheeks, forehead, nose, and upper lip
    Your photos show very clearly how using both bronzer and highlighter can add much dimension to your face.
    Great blog post
    Love OG squad member,
    Emilee Bell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Emilee,
      Thanks for reading my blog post and responding so positively! I'm glad my post was helpful. I agree, it's always hard to get the highlight just perfect.
      Thanks!
      Alyssa Oord

      Delete
  2. Hey Alyssa,
    I absolutely loved your contouring tutorial. I have recently began to contour and I love it, I have been trying to find some tutorials or guidelines to help me out, and I think I just found the perfect one. I never would have thought to highlight my upper lip, and I will have to look into the High Beam from Benefit, it looks great. I have had a real issue with my face looking powdery or blotchy when applying makeup and will definitely look into using an angled brush for my highlighting and then a beauty blender. As for your question it can take me anywhere between 20-60 minutes, depending on where I m going.
    Great post,
    Danika Overstreet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danika!
      I'm glad you found my post helpful. There are a lot of different makeup tricks to shape your face a certain way. Angled brushes and a beauty blender are key to blending everything out evenly.
      Thanks for reading!
      Akyssa Oord

      Delete