When you hear the word "crochet," you possibly think of old ladies making scarves or sweaters for their grandchildren. This is a valid thought, however there are many other people who crochet too. As I was thinking of skills I could work on or try, and finally decided on crocheting. Personally, I thought it was going to be a simple task to learn. This was proved wrong.
On a side note, I used to believe that crocheting and knitting were the same thing. Although they are similar, knitting requires two needles while crocheting requires a specific hook. There are also different yarns for each type of project. In crocheting, there are different sizes hooks as well, which would make for different size stitches.
Moving on, as I picked up my new book,
Learn Crochet, I figured that I could pick up on things fast. I can be patient sometimes, so maybe I could be patient with this. It seemed simple enough. Two "ingredients:" yarn, and hook. Soon, I learned this wouldn't be the case. Crocheting was so complicated for me to pick up. All I was learning at first was a simple chain stitch, and apparently that is not so easy as a knot.
 |
Crochet hook, yarn, and Learn Crochet by Susan Bates
|
After multiple tries, I was finally able to get the hang of the chain. I was so happy to finally understand what I was doing without needing to look at the pictures in the book the entire time. It didn't turn out the best, but that was alright. I was just proud of myself for finally doing it. After a couple times to get the hang of that, it was time for me to move onto the next step: a double crochet/chain. I thought this was going to be as complicated as before, however it turned out to be easier than I thought! All you need to do while stitching a double chain was follow a specific pattern.
 |
| My first double crochet |
Crocheting is not so simple, but a very intricate task and project. It is pretty neat, however, how many different types of it there are. Also, the amount of variables that are involved is very small - in fact, only two. I hope to improve my crochet skills and be able to make bigger projects, like a beanie or something along those lines.
Have you ever crocheted? Would you ever want to try to?
Citation: Bates, Susan. Learn Crochet. First Edition ed. N.p.: Coats & Clark, 2011. Print.
Hey Starr!
ReplyDeleteTo answer your question, I have never crotched but after reading your post I totally would want to try. It doesn't look very simple but I'd give it a shot. Your post was very informative and made me look at crocheting differently.
Thanks,
Alyssa Oord
Hi Starr! To answer your question, no, I have never crocheted before. I had never thought of it as something that interesting but after reading through this and realizing that different things can actually be made by crocheting I realized that it could actually be really cool. Your blog was very well written and inspired me to maybe try something new. Thanks!
ReplyDelete