Continuing on in my mission to declutter my house, I decided to conquer my younger sister's room next. In the book, Kondo suggests cleaning out by going by categories, and have sub-categories in those categories. "When we tidy each place separately, we fail to see that we are repeating the same work in many locations and become locked into a vicious circle of tidying" (Kondo 25). She then goes on to define the categories that we should clean by; clothes, then books, papers, and miscellaneous items, and finally things with sentimental value. (Kondo 65) For this particular cleaning session, my sister and I chose the category of Clothes and the subcategory of Tops.
We started out by clearing out my sister's closet and her drawers that held her tops, and then proceeded to place the clothes on top of the bed.
From here, we applied the Kondo's discarding method. "What things will bring you joy if you keep them as part of your life?" (Kondo 66) So I picked up each shirt that was on the bed, and my sister chose the ones that she felt still brought her joy. The other clothes, she put in a discard pile.
| Clothes to discard |
While we were sorting the clothes, we found two bags of clothes that my sister had recently bought on a shopping trip. Kondo even covered this part of the cleaning process. "One of the many things that amazes me... is the number of items that are still in their packages.... When you buy them, remove the tags immediately" (Kondo 165-166). Following her advice, we took the clothes out, removed the tags, and hung them in the closet.
Have you ever thought about exactly how many items you own? Is it a shocking or reasonable amount? If it is shocking, do you plan on trying to reduce that amount? If it is reasonable, how do you keep the amount of items you own to the bare minimum?
Jasleen Virk
Kondō, Marie, and Cathy Hirano. The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of
Decluttering and Organizing. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.
So good to see how well cleaned things went. that the organization of the room can help people later in life. most people such as me don't realize how many clothes, I have and how much I don't need to have. I think it is hard to get rid of clothes because everyone has a lot of reasons why they still have them. but going down to a bar minimum quite hard to do. the cleaning of rooms/house is something that can have a positive impact on a person coming home from work with a clean house can be a bit relaxing.
ReplyDeleteYou are a very respectable person for this. You are very clean and very serious about it also but I have to ask one thing. How do you actually like cleaning? Because for me, I'm clean but I don't feel like cleaning up things like my room or my backpack so I just want to know how you get the motivation to do all the time.
ReplyDeleteWow this post really helped me. To be honest, I didn't think anyone would do a blog about cleaning. But how do you like cleaning? Because for me, cleaning isn't really my thing. Like I will do it, but it's just not me. But I'm wondering how do you like cleaning so much and why.
ReplyDelete