Kasahara explains the concept of the evolution of origami well in the omnibus as he describes "...modern origami has added to this appeal the stimulation and interest of investigating functionality, posing and solving puzzles, and pursuing geometric qualities through folding paper. And this has had an elevating effect on the quality of origami in general" (Kasahara 56). It's fun to explore models like the jumping frog or the bird that flaps its wings, and it's very rewarding with the way you can interact with it after it's done.
The first type of functional origami I tried was the noisemaker. The noisemaker is actually extremely easy to make, it is just a series of folds and very rewarding for the shenanigans you can pull off. There were two provided models, and they had varying amounts of success.
![]() |
| 1st model |
![]() |
| 2nd model |
If you want to have a go, try looking up a video tutorial online. Videos really help me out when I need help understanding origami instructions from my book.
But if you had to choose, would you pick practicality or presentation?
Citation:
Kasahara, Kunihiko. Origami Omnibus: Paper-folding for Everybody. Tokyo: Japan Publications, 1988. Print.


Wow that sounds like a fun idea for something to make! I remember elementary school when we used to do origami in class. I wish the would have taught us how to make these, we wouldn't have been able to focus in class for a week! What type of sound do they make?
ReplyDeleteThey make a nice booming noise, enough to wake somebody up. You should try making it, they are very fun and I played with it for hours tbh. Thanks for your comment!
DeleteOrigami seems really cool. Thanks to your blog, I think that I might get back into it. I used to make a lot of animals when I was younger (back in my day), but I just suddenly stopped. I would choose practicality. It's like a pair of ugly socks like your mom gives to you, they're practical yet warm.
ReplyDeleteI remember when I had a pair of ugly socks that my mom gave me, they were black and gray and had a pattern of old-fashioned televisions with the antennae. They weren't ugly though because in my eyes they were pretty.
DeleteI remember when I had a pair of ugly socks that my mom gave me, they were black and gray and had a pattern of old-fashioned televisions with the antennae. They weren't ugly though because in my eyes they were pretty.
DeleteThat brings tears to my eyes.
DeleteThis seems like a nice idea. I have tried origami but I cant even make the crane anyway. I always end up ripping the paper of folding it wrong.
ReplyDeleteAlso, to answer the question I would probably say presentation because I feel that that is what origami is.
This seems like a nice idea. I have tried origami but I cant even make the crane anyway. I always end up ripping the paper of folding it wrong.
ReplyDeleteAlso, to answer the question I would probably say presentation because I feel that that is what origami is.
That was a very nice blog, but i think i have to go with practicality because it's supposed to be "functional" origami and if it doesn't do anything then whats the point. It should look nice if it's not functional.
ReplyDelete