Thursday, December 31, 2015

Infinity Scarf!

If you read my last post you know about some benefits of crochet. I've already stated how useful crochet can be and how it is a great way to make gifts. Although that seems pretty simple, just set aside some time to make a few things and you're in the clear, but it really isn't like that . I'll tell you this much, the hardest part of starting any crochet project is actually getting the inspiration to pick up your tools and start working.


After a couple weeks of sitting around with little to no inspiration, I decided I would get to work so I could be sure to finish by Christmas! I already had my materials because I was smart enough to pick up some yarn and a new hook at the arts and crafts store on Black Friday when it was all on sale! Normally I wouldn't have to get any new hooks, considering I have a pretty standard set of them, but this project was different. I was determined to complete my first scarf.


I had made a few attempts at it in the past, with my normal yarn and hooks, but it just wasn't doing the job. I didn't have the patience to do that with the supplies I had. I new that the only way I was going to make it was if I got 10mm yarn. For those not keen on the metric system that is one centimeter, which may sound small, but not when compared to the typical yarn which is only a fraction of the size. My book recommended the use of bulky weight yarn, which by their standards was around 6.5 mm (Hardy 36). But I knew I had to go big, or die trying.
A little sneak peak of the final product (the transitions from dark to light color look cleaner on the other side, take my word for it)
Since crochet is something that you don't need to think about too much if you know what you're doing, I decided I would listen to a nice little debate while I was working (don't worry it wasn't political). Three hours into the scarf and the debate ended while I was just a little more than half way done. I decided to put my work down (my fingers were starting to get pretty sore) and go to bed. The next day I woke up excited to get back to work and finish up my project.


I knew all along that this scarf would be a present for my wonderful girlfriend. After it was wrapped nicely I gave it to her and she really liked it and appreciated my effort. In all honesty she liked the Twenty One Pilots shirt I got for her a little more, but let's be honest here I liked the shirt more too.
the final product as worn by a fabulous model
As I'm sure you can tell from the above picture it is an infinity scarf.  to do this you simply crochet a normal scarf and "match first and last rows with right sides together. Working through both loops of both layers, slip st in each st across making sure the pattern lines up"(Hardy 46).  I had originally planned for it to be able to wrap around the neck twice, but it ended up being just a little tighter than I would have hoped for. It still makes it around both times and fits well, but it isn't nearly as droopy as I had hoped for. Take a look at it yourself and tell me what you think.


If you are anything like me, you have probably thought about crochet more than enough for one day (if not a whole week). So I'll bring up two seemingly off topic questions! 1. What's your favorite band that you would want merchandise from? And 2. Have you watched any interesting debates lately?


Citation:

Hardy, Cathy. Learn to Crochet. Maumelle: Leisure Arts, 2014. Print.

3 comments:

  1. The scarf is fab 😌 Thanks again hombre
    Also I like how your blog posts are super detailed just saying

    ReplyDelete
  2. The scarf looks awesome! I knit and i had always thought about doing an infinity scarf. It took a while to adjust, and like you said, crochet it isn't hard if you know what you're doing. Might try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jacob!
    Awesome scarf by the way, it looks great and I'm so impressed of all the time and effort you put into that beautiful creation. To answer your interesting questions 1. The band I would want merchandise from is defiantly the Jonas Brothers because well who wouldn't and no I have not watched and interesting debates lately. Keep up the great work!
    Best Friend,
    Emilee Bell

    ReplyDelete