Driving safely is always important. There are many different ways to drive safe including not being a distracted driver, knowing your surroundings and just plain using your blinker. One way I want to try to be a safer driver is by "Scanning". Scanning will help me be more aware of my surroundings and overall be a safer driver. "To be a good driver, you must know what is happening around your vehicle. You must look ahead, to the sides, and behind the vehicle. Scanning helps you to see problems ahead, vehicles and people that may be in the road by the time you reach them, signs warning of problems ahead, and signs giving you directions" (4-6). In order to achieve my goal of being a safer driver, I must open my eyes and scan. In the picture you can see me scanning the roads ahead.
| Here I am looking to see ahead of me |
While driving I focused on not only keeping my eyes on the road but also what is coming and what is on the sides of the roads so I can be as safe as possible. I pay attention to what is ahead of me by a reasonable distance of about 10 seconds just as the book says, "In the city look ten seconds ahead" (4-6). Scanning isn't just looking ahead, but also paying attention to the sides of the road, which you can see me doing in this picture.
| Here I am checking the sides of the roads for possible hazards. |
How far ahead of you do you look while driving? Does it change depending on what kind of road you are on?
Source: Department of Licensing Washington Driver Guide
This is very informative! did you know if you are unable to see the road ahead of you, you look at the fog line to guide yourself? question: do you know how many seconds you should be behind someone on the freeway compared to on the regular road?
ReplyDelete