Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Dutch Braiding (Pt. 1)

This past month as I was scrolling through my book, Braiding Manes and Tails: A Visual Guide to 30 Basic Braids by Charni Lewis I was on the search for something both challenging but manageable. This was how I happened upon the Dutch braid. I am very familiar with French Braiding as it is the classic braid for most all Arabian Show horses competing in the hunter division. Now the Dutch braid is the sister to the French braid, but a whole lot more challenging as you braid underhand so the braid rests on top. I was very intrigued by this braid and thought I would give it a shot.

This post will focus on braiding the mane of the horse into a Dutch Braid, the tail tutorial will follow later. I stepped into the barn that day feeling hopeful and despite my numb fingers I set to work.

This braid requires very basic materials:


  • Detangler Spray
  • Brush
  • Bands or yarn that matches the hair color
  • A stool
  • A latch hook (optional)
  • Water (optional)
Now as a little side tip, if you ever plan on doing any sort of braiding like this be sure to not condition the horses mane. This means that if you bathe your horse before braiding, only shampoo the mane, and only do a light spritz of detangler spray. Over conditioning the mane will make it slick and hard to keep the braid tight and even. Use water to reduce flyaways and give you a better grip on the mane, allowing you to keep the braid tight to the crest of the neck.

Displaying IMG_4535.JPG
(Materials)

To start things off you are going to want to brush through your horses mane (using a light spritz of spray and adding water if needed) to get all the tangles out. 

(Clean and brushed mane)

Now to start the braid you will, "start an underhand three-strand braid. With the first turn, you will bring the right section under the middle section to create a new middle section. The twist the left section under the middle section to create a new middle section," (Lewis 97). You will complete the first section by twisting the right section under the middle section to create a new section (Lewis 97).

(Beginning of braid)

You will continue this underhand three strand braid down the neck until you reach the thinner shorter section near the withers. It is important to remember to be using an underhand motion on this braid compared to the natural overhand of a French braid. If you find the hair to slick to get a proper grip splash some water on it. As you continue the braid make sure you are pulling it taunt with each new section of mane added; this will keep it close to the crest and ensure it stays in.


(Continuation of braid. Notice how braid is sitting on top of mane and not tucked under)

"Continue braiding in this underhand manner. Keep the braid parallel to and as close to the crest as possible. When you reach the withers, make an underhand three-strand braid with the remaining hair," (Lewis 98). Once you have finished the braid, tuck the braid of leftover hair into a small bundle under the braid and rubber band it. A alternate and more secure method would be to finish the braid with yarn and thread it through the braid and secure it, this it the method I would use at a show. 

(Finished braid)

(Remaining braid tucked under and banded)

Braid Review: I very much enjoy the look of this braid; it is clean, neat, and aesthetically pleasing. My only concern would be if during movement it might sway to much and pull out or be distracting to the eye. This is a braid I would very much use in the competition ring, and it took hardly any time. I would say this is an intermediate braid, but it is not impossible and a fun quick braid to do. I found it challenging to do the underhand motion, that caused me to take a bit longer to do than I would a French Braid, but it was worth it!

This reading and experiment impacted my hobby by introducing me to a new braid that I am excited to test out during any upcoming shows. It peaked my interest for the Dutch style and I will most definitely be using it in the future. Overall this braid was definitely a bit of a challenge, and a tad awkward to do, but it was not time consuming and is a sturdy and clean braid. I am glad I switched up my normal mane braid routine and discovered the beauty of the Dutch Braid!

Have you ever switched up something in your life, if so what were the results?



Citation: 
Lewis, Charni. Braiding Manes and Tails: A Visual Guide to 30 Basic Braids. Massachusetts: Storey Publishing, 2007. Print




3 comments:

  1. Hello Danika! I really like that you chose a subject to read on that you are so very ~passionate~ about. I remember when I was younger I would often try to braid my dog Tristan's fur because it was super long, but I didn't really know how so I would usually just tangle it. If only I had had your blog back then! Even if I couldn't read, your pictures are very helpful. (Can I come visit Duke and Presto again sometimes soon?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally have never had the chance to work with a horse, but I have braided several peoples hair. How would you say these two compare? Human hair widely varies in how thick and curly it is, is this the same for horses? Hopefully someday I can get a chance to visit one of your wonderful horses and feel their mane for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danika! I love that you picked a topic for your blog that you are so passionate about! Personally I've only ridden a horse about 2 or 3 times on just simple trail walks. I've never braided a horse's mane but i've definitely spent hours on hours practicing braiding on my cousins' hair. Did you face any challenges while braiding your horse's hair? For example did they move around a lot or just in general not like having their mane touched?

    ReplyDelete