Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Decluttering Tops According to the KonMari Method

Decluttering my house has been a success so far. The areas that I have decluttered so far have stayed decluttered, and my family members haven't missed the clothes that they got rid of. Using this success as motivation, I continued on to use the KonMari method in another area of my house that needed some work, which would be my younger sister's tops.


We started out by taking all of my sister's tops out of the drawer that they were in and putting them onto the bed. As Kondo points out in her book, "...most people are overwhelmed by the sheer volume of what they actually own" (Kondo 66-67). Even though my sister didn't have that many tops, she did have more than she actually wears.
           


The Keep Pile
The Discard Pile

 Afterwards, I asked my sister the essential question. "What things will bring you joy is you keep them as part of your life?" (Kondo 66) Using my sister's answers, I organized her clothes into two piles, the keep pile and the discard pile. In the end, we ended up getting rid of one third on the tops that were originally in the drawer.


After getting the clothes to keep, I had to put them back into the drawer. In the book, Kondo suggests to fold clothes so that you can see them clearly every time you open the drawer. (Kondo 72) So I folded the shirts and then rolled them up. Then I placed them in the drawer in rows, as you can see in the picture to the left. This way, my sister can see all of her tops at a glance once she opens the drawer.

 At last, we were done. It felt good to get rid of so many clothes that were decluttering the room. It was as if a huge weight was lifted off of our shoulders. This cleaning session was very successful, and I plan to continue to use the KonMari method to declutter the rest of my house, one step at a time.



How do you store your clothes in your drawers? Do you fold them and stack them one on top of the other, so that you only see the one piece of clothing on top. Or do you fold your clothes as I folded my sisters in this post?


Jasleen Virk


Kondō, Marie, and Cathy Hirano. The Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of
Decluttering and Organizing. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.

1 comment:

  1. It's really interesting to see such a detailed process of decluttering and organizing. I think this would be really essential for someone like me who's kind of a mess 24/7.

    Also, in response to your question. I don't use my drawers. I just, put things on hangers and don't hang them up. LOL.


    But yeah, very nice job! Looks like a very good technique.

    ReplyDelete