Dehydration can be dangerous for swimmers, as they can't tell as easily as with other sports or activities when they get to the point of being dehydrated. It can be difficult when to tell you are dehydrated because you don't think about water (even though you're in it), you can't tell how much you're sweating, and swimming demands a lot of energy.
In the book "Swimming as Exercise" by Greg Whyte, staying hydrated in the pool is one of the most important things and is incredibly stressed under the section about caring for yourself. "However, because you are in a wet environment you are not aware of how much you are sweating and so it is easy to become dehydrated. That is why it is important to ensure you are fully hydrated before you get in the water..." (Whyte 93). What is being said about staying hydrated is that because it's so easy for swimmers to get dehydrated even more quickly then other athletes, it just makes it *that* much more important to keep on top of your hydration at practice, which can sometimes start with getting enough water throughout the day.
I decided to start drinking about two and a half bottles worth of water a day total. One while at school, another during practice, and half with dinner and before I went to bed. The first couple of days doing this, I felt bloated, queasy, and full of water. I felt it sloshing around in my stomach before I got in the pool. However, after these couple of days, I noticed that I wasn't getting as tired or fatigued as I had before. This change was good and allowed me to get more out of my practices.

I would recommend increasing your daily water intake to even non-athletes, because it made me feel like I had more energy and it is good for your body.
How much water do you typically drink in a day?
Citation:
Whyte, Gregory P., and Eddie Jacob. Swimming for Exercise: Optimize Your Technique, Fitness and Enjoyment. Richmond Hill, Ont.: Firefly, 2011. Print.
No comments:
Post a Comment