Saturday, January 23, 2016

Solomon Hines: Football


           Growing up poor in a neighborhood where anything can happen, nothing good comes out of it. But when you hear the words "do you want to play football?," your whole life flashes before your eyes. I had never even seen a real football ever. So you would think I would be that one kid who plays in the fourth quarter with one minute left. Right? Wrong. I was a starter. I started all ten games. I played Tight End and Line Backer. At the end of season, I got all team player and was named team captain for next season. I thought I was the stuff. I thought I was all that and nothing could touch me. Until my Uncle Jonny got sent to the hospital, and everything changed. I quit football after I heard the news on May 13, 2004. Taking care of my uncle was more important then anything. On May 25, 2004, my Uncle Jonny passed away because of heart failure. I didn't know what to do. And to make things worse, my mom and my dad were divorcing. I wished my life could just get better. And my wish came true in 2005, a year after the passing of my Uncle and my mom and dads divorce. My mother, my sister Angelica, and I moved to this new place called Seattle, Washington. There were a lot of thoughts going through my head like "where will we stay?" "what school will I go to?" "will we ever move back to Alabama?" But of course I was five so whatever I said didn't matter.            
 Fast forward a couple years to 2015. So ten years for those who have trouble counting. We(me, my mom, and my sister) have been living in Kent Washington since 2008. We've been moving from house to house, city to city. Things were out of control. We couldn't settle down in one spot. Not to mention finding friends was bad because we couldn't stay at one school. And don't get me started with football. But I'm in the tenth grade, and something needed to change. I was scared to even play football. I didn't know if they would let me because of how bad my grades were last year. But it never hurts to try. So I went at it.

As of now, it is 2016. And my football career is at its best. I finished the season with 237 yards. I got team player for the last game. I plan on playing next year and reaching a goal of 1,000 yards. There is a book called I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness, to The Blind Side, and Beyond by . You might remember him from the movie The Blind Side. I read Michaels book and it really got to me. I am able to look back and know that I have really started from the bottom. I haven't made it to the top yet, but I am chasing my dreams to go to college and then play in the NFL.

 
 
 
There is a book called I Beat the Odds: From Homelessness, to The Blind Side, and Beyond by . You might remember him from the movie The Blind Side. I read Michaels book and it really got to me. I am able to look back and know that I have really started from the bottom. I haven't made it to the top yet, but I am chasing my dreams to go to college and then play in the NFL.



No comments:

Post a Comment