“Got
a quick idea or thought? Quickly flip open your phone and sing it” (Peterik
4286). Usually, when I have a few notes that I have been humming stuck in my, I’ll
tell myself “Oh yeah, you’ll totally remember it by the time you get home”.
Then I always end up with nothing. I’ve also tried writing lyrics in my
journal, and try to see if I can remember the melody when I get home from
school, and still, zilch. I realize that it has been my naiveté that has been
holding back in at least producing some sort of demo, let alone a perfect song.
I also read, “Not everything you write is going to be a gem. Don’t be
embarrassed – certainly don’t toss the stuff that you don’t like” (Peterik
4298).
When I first started songwriting, I was very hesitant about writing a
full song because if I thought it was bad, I would think that someone else
would think it was bad as well. After reading those quotes, I just wrote
anything, whether I thought it was good or bad, and recorded it as soon as I go
the chance, because I concluded that anything I wrote could be combined with
other things that I have written to make a better song. To add, “Unless you’re collaborating
with another writer, keep your work to yourself. Any unkind word may put you
off of your game” (Peterik 4298). To avoid any negative comments and/or stolen
ideas, I will put a picture of the recording up instead of a video clip of me
singing. J Let me know if you guys have other ways to keep
a melody or lyrics in your head.

No comments:
Post a Comment