Sunday, January 24, 2016

In the Zone


For me, the worst place to write a song is my house. I live with my 12 year-old sister and my father and both can be a distraction. No matter what I do to stay focused, whether it’s listening to music, going into my room, or locking myself in the bathroom, there is always something.

 
Sometimes, I need to leave the house to get into the zone that I need to be just to write a single lyric. But even then there would be something holding me back. “Quiet your mind in a peaceful setting or surroundings” (Peterik). Before reading this, I would try writing a song at Starbucks down the street, which most of the time was too crowded and noisy, so I tried lunch at school (which was the worst decision ever), my grandmother’s house, and nothing seemed to work until I read that quote. I realized that I needed to take a step back and try something simple. I went outside and sat in the grass and just wrote. I listened to cars, people talking, and birds. The simplicity of just being outside is the perfect place to let your mind roam free.



1 comment:

  1. As a writer, I totally understand/ relate to not being able to write inside my own house. Being outdoors definitely helps improve my writing, like you mentioned it helped you.

    ReplyDelete