Thursday, January 21, 2016

The Flying Crane

The last part of my functional origami series will end with an upgrade to the traditional crane.

The majestic crane with its wings furled.

The crane is no longer a sitting bird, it is now a figure that can fly! Much like paper airplanes, we spread out its wings so it can glide through the air. The directions were really hard to follow for this one, so it took me hours, but it was well worth it.

This part of the crane is a new design, created by the author of my book himself. And changing the design to let it be able to fly while maintaining its appearance as a crane is much harder than one might think (Kasahara 123). Luckily, Kasahara put his own design in the book and all I had to do was copy it.

But on the topic of folding, this is like a million times harder than folding the traditional crane. You still begin the project by creating a petal fold as you would with a normal crane, except with minor variations (Kasahara 127). 

After those steps, however, the folds get extremely difficult. In my opinion, had I not looked up a video to give me a visual guide, reading the steps for this figure would have been really hard.


Crane in flight.

I spent at least like 30 minutes playing around with it, and it was a cool toy to show off.
Have you ever had a creation you wanted to share with the world?

Citation:
Kasahara, Kunihiko. Origami Omnibus: Paper-folding for Everybody. Tokyo: Japan Publications,     1988. Print.

3 comments:

  1. Michael, I have had a great idea for a creation when I was young. I wanted to create a variation of the XBOX with things such as a built in refrigerator. This swan I have actually seen you throw through the air in person and it looked quite neat. I want to try to make one of my own but I might need your assistance. The only thing I can make that flies is a paper airplane that my dad taught me to make many years ago but it does fly very far and it has a flat nose which I thought was so weird at first. I think looking up videos online is a great idea, good luck with your future creations, Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this is a cool crane. Although I cant watch the video for some reason it is still pretty cool. Anyway I think that you are definitely getting better at this kind of stuff. When I was younger I made a one of those bottle "rockets" that you fill with water and than you launch it using a bike pump to put pressure in the bottle. Well, I walked around and told all of my neighbors that they should make one. (They didn't listen)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, let me start of by saying that is an amazing crane! And to answer you question i actually have a lot of creations just waiting to come out, but the most important one is my rapping, which i always wanted to share with the world. I'm not sure if rapping is a creation, but it's definitely one for me.

    ReplyDelete