Sunday, January 17, 2016

Cardio

Part of being in good shape is having stronger lungs and good endurance. The only way to do this is through aerobic workouts or endurance training. Aerobic training is another way of saying cardio (Incledon and Hoffman 343). I'm already in decent cardio shape because I'm on the swim team, but doing a little extra would be good for me.




The simplest cardio workout is just to go running. Running anymore than a mile at a time has always been a challenge for me because I get bored with it very quickly. I did run cross country for a season and I've been on the track team for the last three years, but I still don't really like to run.  Men's Health recommends using a "6-week plan." The authors say that if you are new to running to "Set up a 6-week schedule in which you exercise 3 days a week. For the first day or two, for example run for 10 minutes at a pace that allows you to talk. Every day after that add 1 minute to the run. at the end of the first week, you'll be running for 30 minutes straight at the end of 6 weeks" (Incledon and Hoffman 344). I decided to start this plan two days ago and have ran twice since then. The weather lately has been very rainy and I really didn't want to go out and run in the rain, so I decided to run on my treadmill instead of going out and running on a track.
Something else that I learned was not to over train. It is recommended to keep workouts under thirty minutes when you are first starting and not to yourself to the point where you feel like you're about to pass out (Incledon and Hoffman 344). This 6-week plan has made running a lot easier for me. I'm not getting bored like I was before and it has allowed me to set and accomplish realistic goals. I plan to continue using this plan to get in shape before I start track season next month.


What goals do you set when it comes to fitness and what do you do to stick with your goals?


Citation:
Incledon, Thomas, and Matthew Hoffman. Men's Health Maximum Muscle Plan. Emmaus, PA: Rodale, 2006. Print.                     

3 comments:

  1. I've also been trying to stay in shape in the off season. I don't really like running but I'm going to try the plan you mentioned since it eases you into it. What I have been doing lately is just going lap swimming but I think I will try running thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you're not getting bored, Jeff! Even as someone who likes to run, and runs cross country, I still sometimes am not at all motivated to run. I have to say, though, I always look forward to running when one of my friends runs with me. So something I would suggest (if you don't already do it) is to get good friends together on days you run outside when the weather's nice.
    In answer to your question, one goal that I've recently set on the topic of fitness is to work a lot more on my abs. My friend and I have both found a couple full-body workouts that we try to do after every run (four-five days per week). However, I have decided that I wanted to start to do core workouts everyday as well. Even though I don't have a workout plan for my abs, I try to do cherry-pickers and crunch-twists everyday while I'm just alone in my room or watching TV.
    Great job and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jeff! It's good to see that you are keeping up the cardio. Staying on top of that is something that I have always struggled with when I'm making myself exercise. I typically set a goal to exercise at least 5 times a week at the gym, for 1 1/2- 2 hours at a time. I find it difficult sometimes to stick with, especially with school work or social time, but I usually make it at least four times a week. Lately I have been focusing on abs, doing around 360-400 crunches per day. It's a lot, but it's worth it. Keep up the great cardio!

    ReplyDelete