For this blog post, I decided that the cookie technique I would try to use is indenting cookies. As Cookie Craft describes it, "Indenting your cookie before baking--that is, pressing designs into the raw dough--creates visual interest or highlights cookie features. We've used our spatulas, toothpicks, drinking straws, and a variety of other household items to create particular imprinted shapes" (Fryer and Peterson 88). Basically, the idea of indenting cookies is to use anything that would make an interesting imprint on the cookie and using that to press into the cookie before baking (Fryer and Peterson 88). When you bake the cookie, the imprint stays visible.
| The indenting tools I used |
The indenting worked really well with some of the tools I used, and not so well with others. For example, the toothpick that I used to make flowers turned out really well, but the spoon with the slots in it only flattened out the cookie so that the shape it got deformed. Also, the slots in the spoon didn't create much of an indent. Another thing I noticed, which is pretty obvious, is that the harder I pressed, the more prominent of an indent it created.
| With a toothpick |
| With a slotted spoon |
| I used a sword-toothpick to indent this, but the frosting took away from the intended outcome |
| I used a potato masher to indent this cookie, and I think that the frosting actually enhanced it |
From this experience, I think that I learned that, sometimes, frosting doesn't add to the cookie. In the future, when indenting cookies, I will focus on piping frosting on the outside of the cookie, if at all.
All in all, however, I was pretty proud of the cookies that I made. And, as always, they tasted delicious!
| Before frosting |
| After frosting |
What is something that you made, that turned out well, but then you accidentally screwed it up by trying to make it better?
Fryer, Janice, and Valerie Peterson. Cookie Craft. Pownal, VT: Storey, 2008. Print.
A while back I tried to make spaghetti and everything went well. The taste was pretty great and the noodle was well cooked, but when I tasted the sauce, I thought that I could enhance the taste a little bit more. I really wished I hadn't, because I decided to add more of the Ragu sauce which is pretty tart, and this made the sauce fairly sour which I don't like.
ReplyDeleteHey Meg! Your cookies look great; I've never thought of decorating them by making indentations. I can really relate with you about going overboard with things. When it comes to baking, I struggle with gauging the "doneness" of whatever pastry or baked good I'm making. I always think something can be a little more golden-brown, so I end up getting carried away. Then, I'm just left with dry and almost-burnt food! I guess it all comes down to experience and practice.
ReplyDeleteWoah your cookies turned out really nice! Last time when I tried to make cookies off of Youtube videos, I burnt them. Now I know what I should do next time so they can come out better. Thank you Meg!
ReplyDeleteMeg the cookies look really good, you should have saved me some (haha just kidding!). In terms of baking I have made a lot of mistakes that only made the dessert worse. A time I can recall of this happening was when I made my first batch of cupcakes in the fourth grade. When I added icing I accidentally screwed up the design I was going for and tried fixing it with more icing! Needless to say I was disappointed with myself. However you bring up a good point that sometimes things don't always add up and you should be proud of what you've accomplished than things you could have accomplished. Thanks for posting Meg! :)
ReplyDelete