As
basketball is a game using mainly your hands, there are many injuries that can
happen regarding hands, wrists and fingers. In Basketball: How to Prevent,
Treat and Diagnose Injuries, it shows the many ways these parts of your body
can be hurt. “Injuries to these areas occur while receiving passes, shooting,
rebounding, and while breaking falls.” Sometimes injuries like these happen
faster than you think and you go from running back and forth on the court with
the ball to being examined under an X-ray by a doctor because of a broken wrist.
I knew a person who played on my basketball team and while we were on a
tournament she caught a bad pass that shot her wrist back and she was taken out
of the game. After the tournament she thought she could tough out the pain and skip
a visit with her doctor. Weeks later and she took a mean hit that sent her to
the floor, bracing herself with her hands and falling badly on her wrist that
she had previously hurt. This time is was bad, she went to the emergency room
and the doctor said she had broken her wrist extremely bad. Her doctor told her
since she didn’t go in when she first hurt her wrist, her injury was much worse
the second time around. With that being said, I learned not only from her
personal experience but also reading this book that it is very important to see
a doctor after any type of injury regardless of whether or not you think you
can tough it out.
Question: What are you doing to ensure your safety? Could you be doing a better job?

Hey there Aliya! I love this post; super relatable! To answer your question about what I'm doing to ensure my safety, I always choose the safest options when making decisions; and in sports I always tape my knee or where a brace. I could be doing more by streching before and after my workouts, practices, and games in order to prevent injury and stay safe. Again, great post!
ReplyDelete