In this blog I want to talk about rebounding. Rebounding is
one of the most important part of basketball. It is a major way to get possession
of the ball. I want to focus more on rebounding because it’s a key skill for
both offense and defense. The best rebounders are diligent. They aren’t afraid
to do a little pushing and shoving to get the ball. Rebounding requires a lot of
skills because you have to be strong with your lower and upper body.
Speaking about pushing and shoving, every single time I play
I’m usually the one with the most fouls because I play a little aggressive,
well by little I mean a lot. Since I play aggressive, rebounding is more
fitting in my style of playing. As a result of this I decided to stay with my
old playing style instead of shooting threes.
Firstly I need to focus my attention on keeping the opponent
behind me and not allow them to recover the ball. Leboutillier suggests that I should use my
rear and elbows to keep the opponent behind me. “Using your rear, pivot into
him and keep your elbows out to keep him there. Make sure to stay between your opponent
and the hoop” (Leboutillier 20). This will allow me to have a higher chance of getting
the ball first because I’m closer to the ball than my opponent is. Boxing him
out will give me space to get the ball without any trouble. If I get a defensive
rebound, that gives me possession and a chance to score on the other end. If I
shoot, miss and get the offensive rebound, I have an additional possession in
which I have a chance to score.
Another key skill is knowing the correct spot. The key to
rebounding is knowing where to be if a shot misses. “For long shots, rebounds
will usually bounce farther out from the hoop. If a shot misses from the baseline,
the ball usually bounces to the opposite side of the court.” (Leboutillier 21).
Knowing where the ball is going to be I will have a higher chance of recovering
it. Good rebounders are proactive. Studying where shots come from and react
accordingly before the ball misses will help me a lot. I might miss a few but I
will get a lot.
Having spent a lot of time in the key allowed me to realize
that I should stay in there instead of going out, because my playing style is aggressive.
I could use aggressiveness for a part of basketball that requires it. That’s
the reason I decided to go back into the key and help my team by rebounding. By
the way, rebounding reminds me of Dennis Rodman because he was an amazing
rebounder. He might be crazy but he was one of the best rebounder. Who do you
think is the best rebounder of all time?
Citation: Leboutillier, Nate. Play Basketball Like A Pro Key Skills And Tips. N.p.: Capstone, n.d. Print. Play Like The Pros.
Citation: Leboutillier, Nate. Play Basketball Like A Pro Key Skills And Tips. N.p.: Capstone, n.d. Print. Play Like The Pros.


Like you Parm, I think that Dennis Rodman was the greatest rebounder of all time due to the fact that he wasn't scared to go in the paint and fight. He had an aggression for rebounding that no one else had; he cared more about rebounding than he did about points and that let's you know how good he must have been.
ReplyDeleteThank you Parmdeep. These are great tips that I will make sure to use next time i'm rebounding. Personally I think the best rebounders are not always the tallest, the best rebounders are the ones with the most heart, the ones that want the rebound more than anybody else. So I agree with you, I too believe that Dennis Rodman is one of the best rebounders because he had all these attributes.
ReplyDelete